49th Annual Topics in Infection
Now in its forty-ninth year, Topics in Infection will take place in person on Friday 26 January 2024. The day will run from 9am to 6.30pm (GMT), including a drinks reception.
This annual one-day meeting, is delivered as a partnership between RSTMH, Barts Health and the UK Health Security Agency. It will bring together microbiologists, infectious disease physicians, infection control personnel and biomedical and clinical scientists to hear updates on recent “hot topics” in all aspects of infectious disease.
Tickets are now on sale, and CPD will be confirmed shortly. Early bird prices are available until Friday 24 November, and there are discounted ticket prices are available for nurses, students, RSTMH members, and early career professionals.
This event is in-person only, however we are hoping to record parts of the event and will be looking to make that available after the meeting for a fee.
The 49th Annual Topics in Infection has been approved for 7 CPD credits by the Royal College of Pathologists.
If you require an invoice to be raised please email Eva, our Meetings and Events Officer, at eva [dot] mclean [at] rstmh [dot] org (subject: RSTMH%20Topics%20in%20Infection%3A%20Invoice%20Request)
We are delighted to announce our speakers for this year's Topics in Infection:
- Dr Alessandro Gerada, Consultant Microbiologist, Liverpool Clinical Laboratories (LCL), will be speaking on Brucella canis.
- Professor Andy Tatem, Founder and Director, WorldPop, and Professor of Spatial Demography and Epidemiology, University of Southampton, will be speaking about how spatial modelling approaches can help us better understand and prepare for importations and outbreaks.
- Professor Sir Brian Greenwood, Professor of Clinical Tropical Medicine, London School of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (LSHTM), will be speaking about the implementation of malaria vaccines.
- Dr Catherine Houlihan, Consultant in Infection, UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA), and Consultant in Clinical Virology, UCLH, will be speaking about Tick Borne Encephalitis.
- Dr Colin Brown, Infectious Disease & Medical Microbiology Consultant, UKHSA, will be speaking about Candida auris.
- Professor Diane Ashiru-Oredope, Lead Pharmacist, Antimicrobial Resistance and Healthcare Associated Infections, UKHSA, will be speaking about actions tackling AMR in the next 20 years.
- Ian Dunhill, Senior Advisor on Bathing Waters, Environment Agency, and Dr Kirsty Foster, Consultant in Health Protection, UKHSA, will be speaking about water quality and sewage, and the investigation of the outbreak among triathlon competitors in Sunderland, and other challenges.
- Professor Simon Mead, Consultant Neurologist and Clinical Lead, UK National Prion Clinic, University College London Hospital, will be speaking about prion diseases.
- Professor Taane Clark, Professor of Genomics and Global Health, LSHTM, will be speaking about the use of AI in treating and controlling infections.
- Dr Vanessa Saliba, Consultant Epidemiologist for Immunisations, UKHSA, will be speaking about childhood vaccines, and in particular the change in the rate of measles.
Exhibition and Sponsorship
We would like to welcome you to exhibit and sponsor the forthcoming 49th Annual Topics in Infection conference. Please find our prospectus and booking form below. Do email Eva, eva [dot] mclean [at] rstmh [dot] org (subject: Topics%20in%20Infection%3A%20Exhibition%20and%20Sponsorship) , if you have any questions.
We are delighted to be using a new venue this year, The Royal College of Pathologists' Events @ No 6 venue.
Based in Aldgate, London, this venue is dedicated to innovation and excellence, providing a perfect location for the 49th Annual Topics in Infection.