World Leprosy Day: 'Ending Stigma, Embracing Dignity'
On Friday 2 February 2024, 1-2pm GMT, RSTMH will be hosting a webinar in honour of World Leprosy Day (28 January). This webinar will focus on the theme of the day: Ending Stigma, Embracing Dignity.
World Leprosy Day is celebrated each year to raise awareness of the disease, including those affected, and how to spot the symptoms. The theme of 'Ending Stigma, Embracing Dignity' is significant, highlighting the importance of addressing the stigma and social impacts that are often associated with leprosy.
This webinar will feature a panel discussion from leading experts in the field of leprosy, chaired by Dr Saba Lambert, Leprosy Clinician at ALERT Hospital, Ethiopia, and Clinical Research Fellow at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM). Panellists announced so far include:
- Paula Soares Brandão, Deputy Professor, Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro
- Dr Joydeepa Darlong, Head of Knowledge Management, The Leprosy Mission Trust India
- Dr Patricia Deps, Consultant Dermatologist, and Professor at the Department of Social Medicine, Federal University of Espírito Santo
- Dr Vivek Lal, Team Leader, Global Leprosy Programme, World Health Organization
- Professor Diana Lockwood, Emeritus Professor of Tropical Medicine, LSHTM
- Rajni Kant Singh, State Coordinator for Bihar Operations, LEPRA Society, India